My co-worker just recently lost her mother to cancer, and in honor and memory of her has decided to run in the up coming Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5k. Now I've been wanting to run a 5k for a couple years now - but I also haven't wanted to fall over dead so it just hasn't happened. I tried to start training a year or so ago, but I was doing it all alone. Not to mention I probably tried to do too much too soon.
Thankfully this time around I'll have Mary Beth and Missy to hopefully keep me in check. I've restarted the Couch to 5k program, although I'm using a slightly different podcast this time. Same premise, just had trouble getting the C2-5K podcast to download. Today marked completion of Week 1 day 2.
I've been going to the local park, which is about a 5 minute drive away. I'm hoping that eventually I'll be able to walk/run to the park. (That's a long term goal there). It's nice though, I don't have to worry about traffic, the time of day I've gone hasn't been terribly crowded and it's all people that I don't feel intimidated by. Unlike going to the gym.
Speaking of goals, I set a new one for myself today. I want to log 30 miles by my birthday, which is a little over a month away. Now this may be a little lofty, but it's still achievable. I'm hoping that this will keep me getting out of bed to go run. The past two days I've gone 2 miles, so if I can get 6 miles a week I'll be right on target.
The 5k we are running in is in October, so I've got at least 6 months to get ready, as long as I stick with it this time and don't quit.
I also order a road id today, something that I know will make my dad feel better - he's always asked if I carried ID on my runs/walks. Looking at their website I was impressed with what a great company they are. It's hard to find moral, caring companies like this one. They even donate a percentage of their profits to one of six charities - you get to choose which one. I had a hard time choosing. I've always given money to the ASPCA, but the Wounded Warrior project means a lot to me too, and you don't see many places that support it yet. They also offer to donate to the Lymphoma Society, Susan G. Komen, aaaand two others I can't recall. Anyway - great company - GREAT idea, especially if you're going to be running on the road. You can get yours at www.roadid.com - I definitely recommend it.
Taking the day off to rest tomorrow (I may do some DDR since my wonderful brother gave it to me) then meeting up with the girls for a group run. We're going to try and run together once a week. Keep each other accountable and motivated!

0 comments:
Post a Comment