The Journey Provides the Destination

My journey to a healthier life.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What a Shotty Blogger...

Ok guys, so true to form - like my weight loss took a hiatus, so did my blogging.  Let's face it.  I'm a shotty blogger.  Guess what though?  It's a new year, so I suppose I get another chance at blogging.  .... Right?

Well here it goes..

This year's resolution.. drum roll please...

Save more money on my groceries.  Yes, you read correctly.  Nothing in there about eating less, moving more, losing weight, getting healthier.  Because those are goals I'm keeping to myself right now.  I want to save money on my groceries by buying more fruits and vegetables and less pre-packaged, pre-made foods. I want to save money on my groceries so I'll have more money to spend on *gasp* a gym membership.

Truth be told the only way I've ever truly been successful at losing weight has been when I was a member of the gym.  I do plan on running outside once the weather tames.  We've had more snow the past two winters than I can recall in a very very long time.  (Here in NC snow and ice bring everyone to a standstill, even the city government closed for a day).  I'm also hoping that my work schedule will soon become more like that of a "normal" person.  This is the second big hold up in me joining a gym (first being cost).  We do have a 24 hour gym right down the road, but it's ridiculously expensive ($50 a month plus a joining fee) for a teeny tiny little gym.  We'll see.  While it's been hinted by my boss that I should have no worries at all about getting this new position, I do in fact have worries.  Quite a few worries, mainly because it's taking so long to get an answer from the board (It's been almost a month).

In lighter news, I've lost 8.8 pounds in the last week and a half!  Yay for that!  Amazing what drinking water can do... and cutting out bacon... and bacon grease in cooking... and candy bars from the vending machine.  That 8.8 pounds even includes a lovely little "cheat day"  Which included a healthy breakfast of oatmeal and raisins followed by lunch with the girls at Olive Garden.  I had unsweetened tea, soup salad and breadsticks (I did have two bowls of soup - the chicken gnocchi) and dessert.  Dessert consisted of one of their mini dolce thingies.  Then I had dinner with a different set of "the girls" at a place called Pastabilities, where I had a vegetarian pasta dish.  They had beautiful serving sizes, normal serving sizes not these plates that are three times bigger than your head.  Even though it was delicious, and I had a "normal" serving in front of me, I still could only eat about a third of it.  Later that night we had some multigrain chips and fat-free sorbet.  So while I did indeed have a cheat day, I still felt pretty good about my choices.

I'm still nervous about going back to the doctor for a second check on my cholesterol levels.  I went for a physical maybe a month or so ago and got a call saying my cholesterol was too high.  How embarrassing.  I've let myself go so much that it's impacting my health as well as my happiness.  Then a few weeks ago I hurt my knee.  I worked two extra shifts and apparently the extra work and my extra weight didn't get along.  When I went back to the doctor they said I had patellar tendonitis.  Neither time I visited the doctor did anyone mention anything about my weight.  I attribute this mainly to the fact that everyone I saw was my weight or heavier.  I know, however that the added weight has a lot to do with my joint problems.  The nurse who called about my cholesterol levels told me to take two fish oils a day (yuck) and "try to move around a little more".  She didn't say you need to exercise more, or you need to get off your lazy bum and do something other than hang out on facebook.  What happened to doctors giving you the cold hard nasty truth?  What happened to the scare tactics?  What happened to the "if you continue on this path you'll send yourself to an early grave" speech?  Huh.

Maybe I'm just too melodramatic about it.


Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comments:

Have you seen the commercial where the guys dr tells him "what are you smiling at? You've got six months to live" there's no way that actually happened because your right doctors are hardly ever the kick you in the butt kind (although if that commercial is real, that comment would be unbelievably cruel) anyway...did I have a point? Yes, happy to see you're back! And congrats on the 8.8 lbs loss, that's awesome, especially after a cheat day.