The Journey Provides the Destination

My journey to a healthier life.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Back in the Game - Again

Okay, today I completed week 1 of c25k - again.  I will say, it was much easier this time around compared to last April.  I didn't have to resort to any granny shuffling and it was nice to be familiar with the neighborhood so I could vary my route.  Especially since the track is so incredibly muddy and squishy right now.

I checked my time compared to when I first did c25k.  When I started the first time I was averaging about a 17 min mile.  This week I've steadily reduced my time to an average of 15 min/mile.  Two minutes faster the second time around sounds good to me.  I noticed that the hardest part about week one was all the starting and stopping.  About the time I would get into a grove with jogging it would be time to walk again.

I knew the weather was going to be nasty later on in the week and was tempted to run yesterday, but even though I've felt like I could do more I want to be careful to not burn myself out early on.  I went to Target instead to buy more running clothes.  :)

I noticed they were having a sale this week on active wear, and I don't have any dedicated wear for cooler/cold weather.  I wound up buying two wicking tees ($5 each - holy moly) two long sleeve wicking tees ($10 each), a pair of "running tights" which are fitted capri pants (that after running in today totally love and not a bad deal at $19), a sports bra (that I'll be returning) and some wicking socks.  Now I know a lot of people put a lot of stock in investing in good socks, that they make a world of difference regarding blisters and such but I just haven't bought into it.  Luckily I haven't had any problem with blisters (yet), but seeing as how I desperately needed new socks, and they were on sale I gave in

Good gracious, holy moly, I'm in love with these socks.  I don't think I've ever put anything on my feet before that felt so lovely.  That was before I even got shoes on.  I'm sold.  I don't know if I can ever wear my plain, thin cotton socks ever again.  They're dreamy.  For reals.  *Edit* - They are C9 by Champion Duo Dry no show socks from Target.  They came in a pack of four, two black, one pink and one blue.

The sports bra I'll have to take back, after trying one on in the dressing room I just couldn't make myself take all my clothes off and do it again.  Lazy.  Yup.  So I grabbed a different one and the first being too small, this one was too large.  Hopefully I'll remember to take it with me when I go to town tomorrow.

The food situation this week has gone pretty well.  Dearest and I had a "movie night" Saturday where he corrupted me, and I let him - to a degree.  There was popcorn (but I made sure to get the 98% FF Healthy Pop stuff), there was Pepsi - throw back full frontal assault sugar loaded Pepsi at that, but we shared it and I only had a third of the bottle.  Thankfully I cut out to bed before he brought out the ice cream.  When I got up the next morning he had polished off the whole carton!  I made sure to log everything - I have all week, and I even still have plenty of my weekly allowance points left.  I'm feeling pretty good over all about my choices.  We'll see how Weigh in Wednesday goes tomorrow...

3 comments:

You cannot speak of such amazing socks without providing a link or a least a brand name. Come on girl! Don't be holding out on me. There are socks to go around...
 
Haha! Sorry girl, didn't mean to hold out on you! Believe it or not I can't for the life of me find these socks ANYWHERE online (not even the Target website).

You know what they say - if it's not on the internet - it doesn't exist!! (I know they do though) They are C9 duo dry socks by Champion, I bought them at Target. They had a whole display of them next to the C9 sports bras.
 
I have never bought into the whole buying thicker, better socks thing either...but after reading this post I am totally feeling like getting some nicer "running" socks :)