The Journey Provides the Destination

My journey to a healthier life.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

You Bought a What??

Okay guys, I think I've got Dearest in on making some raised beds and starting a garden this coming spring.  I want to try and start making compost now though.  I've got a line on some food grade plastic barrels and I want to buy one to use to make compost and another for a rain barrel.

I realized though that if I'm going to start growing vegetables I need to decide which ones I want to grow... and I need to learn how to cook them ;)

I've never been what I would consider a great cook.  I just recently started to gain some self-confidence in the kitchen.. thanks to bacon grease.  Horrible horrible I know!

Anywhos... I've always been intrigued with butternut squash, spaghetti squash and acorn squash.  I've never eaten them, that I'm aware of at least.  They always have them in the grocery store though, and I've heard people mentioning that they like them.  Well I bought an acorn squash.  It was the smallest, and I figured I should start on a small scale to hopefully reduce waste if it didn't work out for me.

Of course when I got home Dearest saw it and proclaimed "What is that"?  I'm honestly amazed that I got out of the grocery store with it.  I was asked by the checkout lady the other day what a pomegranate was.

So far what I've seen has suggested baking it with brown sugar, which made me think of a sweet potato.  I need to do some more research on this one.

Tonight for dinner - chicken vegetable soup.

How do you work in your vegetables, and what would *you* grow?

1 comments:

I am horrible at preparing/eating vegtables. So let me know if you figure out something fantastic (and easy!) Good Luck :)