The Journey Provides the Destination

My journey to a healthier life.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Alma Matters

One of my favorite college professors was my Business Law professor.  I think I may have retained more from that class than any of my other collage courses, just because the professor made things fun, and relatable.  The two major things I took away from that class were:

1.  If you ever start your own business the very first step you ever take is to hire a lawyer.
2.  Always *always* read a contract in its entirety before you sign your name.

Okay now, just because I know something, doesn't mean I'm going to do it.  You'd think that maybe I'd have learned by now.  Well, obviously not - if I had learned that lesson I'd be a skinny healthy rich bit*h millionaire billionaire by now SURELY.  ;)

So... this year my employer is the main sponsor for the community Heart/Stroke Walk, and they asked for volunteers in my department to be Team Leaders.  I thought about it.. for like 45 seconds - the same amount of time that I considered participating in the walk (I've never been one for playing team sports, or exercising in public.. or doing anything that I don't know exactly where to go and what to do - what can I say I have some social anxiety issues).  Then they begged.  So I thought that if nothing else I could volunteer to help to give me a firm reason to participate in the walk, and hey it seemed like a smart move on behalf of my newly budding position within the department.  I thought surely as many people are in my department (a whole gaggle cluster of people really) that I would be more of a co-team leader, or a group team leader.  Nuh uh.  No way.  I did however get tons of brownie points with my boss, and his boss for that matter.  Oh man.

I got my first assignment today, and my reaction was basically "wait.. you want me to do what???" I've never been a planner, or a die hard leader (remember those social anxiety issues?).  I think I needed a microscope to see the fine print in this one.  I feel duped.  They made it seem like they just needed someone to set out a penny jar, or a deposit box for raffle tickets - I can do that!  Noooo, they need someone to recruit people, and raise money, and schmooze and come up with recipes and rally participation in a cook-off and I'm hyperventilating already.  I so know better.

I am the Queen of Procrastination, not the Queen of Schmoozing.  Schmoozing is what I have Dearest for, he could sell ice to an eskimo.  I *might* be able to sell water to a man in the desert dying of thirst, but only for half off.

*Deep Breath*

Well the walk is in a few weeks, so I'll let you know how it all works out.

In other news:  Weigh in Wednesday has been postponed until Thursday.  My scale and I are having a disagreement.  At least the tape measurer is on my side.


0 comments: